DETROIT, July 31, 2014 – Hospice of Michigan will hold community-wide Fly & Remember memorial events throughout Michigan in September.
Attendees of these free events will have the opportunity to personalize a kite in memory of their loved one and then to fly it in that person’s honor. HOM invites the whole family to join in for a day of sharing memories, laughter and refreshments.
“The Fly & Remember event offers families an opportunity to come together to remember and celebrate the legacy of their loved ones that have died,” said Karen Monts, director of grief support services at Hospice of Michigan. “The uplifting event serves as a reminder that memorials can be a positive, healthy experience and time to reflect on happy memories shared with those we’ve lost.
“We invite the entire community, not just those who have used our program, to join us for Fly & Remember.
Each community hosting a Fly & Remember event plans to partner with other organizations and offer unique activities, such as live music and face painting. Kite decorating and memorial events will be held:
- Saturday, 6, in Manistee at Manistee Medical Care Facility, 1505 E. Parkdale Ave, from 2-4 p.m.
- Monday, 8, in Boyne City at the Brook of Boyne City, 701 Vogel St., from 2:30- 3:30 p.m.
- Friday, September 12, in Lake City at Belle Oakes, 2353 South Lachance Rd, from 2-5 m.
- Saturday, 13, in Gaylord at Aspen Ridge Retirement Village, 1261 Village Parkway, from 1:30 p.m.-3:30 p.m.
- Saturday, 13, in Royal Oak at Starr Jaycee Park, 13 Mile Road just east of Crooks Road, from 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Tuesday, 16, in Ann Arbor at Gallup Park, 2970 Fuller Road, from 6-8 p.m.
- Tuesday, 16, in Grand Rapids at Calvin College Prince Conference Center, 1800 East Beltline Ave, NE, from 5-7 p.m.
- Thursday, 18, in Traverse City at Greilickville Harbor Park, 13132 South West Bay Shore Drive, from 4-6 p.m.
- Saturday, 27, in Alpena at Starlight Beach Pavilion, from 11 a.m.-1 p.m.
Registration information for Fly & Remember can be found on https://hom.convio.net/site/PageServer?pagename=FLY_and_Remember. HOM is also offering
families the opportunity to make a donation and fly a virtual kite if they are unable to attend the event.
Fly & Remember, which was first held in 2009, is just one of many ways that HOM works with patients and patient families to offer support, strength and guidance through the emotional challenges of loss.
About Hospice of Michigan
A nationally recognized leader in end-of-life care, Hospice of Michigan is the original – and largest – hospice in the state. The non-profit cares for more than 1,400 patients each day in 56 counties across Michigan, raising more than $4 million each year to cover the cost of care for the uninsured and underinsured. HOM offers a broad range of services to enhance the quality of life at the end of life, including At Home Support™, our advanced illness management program, community-based palliative care and pediatric care programs. HOM provides grief support and counseling, caregiver education and support, and education programs for physicians and healthcare professionals through its research, training and education arm, the Hospice of Michigan Institute. For more information, call 888.247.5701 or visit www.hom.org.